Thursday, October 29, 2009

Expert by Appointment – media and ICT

Kia ora tātou – Hello EveryoneHypsochromic Fiddle - artist ken allan
We live in an age where ‘becoming an expert’ is just another turn of phrase. Despite research and the embracing of the results of this in several chapters of Gladwell’s Outliers, and in other similar books, expertise is looked on as being easily achievable.

You’ll be an expert in no time. You can pick it up as you go along.
In March 2007, MediaSnackers promoted these options in an advert, posted on YouTube, for a ‘research genius’ among other guru-types.
It indicates distinctly that “experience and qualifications are not essential” for any of the job offers.



I fit with the ideas that creativity, right attitude, an inspiring nature and professional mentality go a long way to assisting the activities of young up-and-coming pioneers. Certainly conformists and pessimists have their drawbacks, if innovation is where the job aspirations are at. I have no problem with all of those aspects of the brief.

The advertised positions are important to, and influential in contributing to the success of a new and growing organisation. The effectiveness of the training gurus and marketing managers in particular is key to this success. Yet there is nothing more likely to engender contempt in admirers or followers than the so-called expert who clearly demonstrates that he or she isn’t expert.

Or is this point of view outdated?

I support the youth of today. However, I wonder at the culture and attitude they may have picked up associated with the worth of experience and knowledge, and that they will carry these attitudes with them as they follow their careers. Is there something that I’m missing here?

Am I carrying the values and ideas of a bygone age?

The critical players certainly need technical know-how, marketing expertise, other skills and a basket of essential knowledge. Is it really the best way to launch our ships into future business space, building them as we go, having had no real experience in shipbuilding, resourcing or navigating? Am I so old-fashioned that I can’t see the potential that these new and innovative approaches have in reaching desired destinations?

Is it simply enough to sit back and marvel at the apparent successes of these approaches? I appeal for your assistance here, for I have been puzzled by these phenomena, and for many years now. It seems that they have become so numerous that I have no time to catch breath between instances of their occurrence.

What are your thoughts?

related post -> ( 1 )

Ka kite anō – Catch ya later

2 comments:

V Yonkers said...

I think there needs to be a meeting of the two (traditional and new methods, experience and fresh new ideas). The saddist thing is to loose an expertise when we loose an older loved one. For example, my mother in law often laments not learning some of her mother's receipes from Italy. As a daughter of two immigrants, she was embarressed as a young adult to have anything to do with Italy.

On the other hand, I see some of the innovations my own kids use or are learning. My daughter uses a way of taking notes called cornell notes. I wish I had had them when I was younger as they really help to critically read something and understand the information.

What I think you are talking about is something that happens in every generation: the lack of respect for "expertise". I think part of it in the US is that for an economy to be viable, there has to be "new" things all the time. We push for the constant change which requires us to overlook "expertise".

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Virginia!

I identify with what you say about losing access to expertise at the loss of a loved one. In fact, loss of an experienced friend or acquaintance is just as unfortunate in that regard.

There have been a number of happenings (I won't itemise them here :-) in New Zealand that is as a direct result of the overlooking of expertise that you speak of. My wonder is, how long will it take the human race to understand that past events and happenings can actually be useful - that we can learn worthwhile lessons from them?

Catchya later