Friday, October 31, 2008

Having fun is a natural companion to learning

Tēnā koutou katoa - Greetings to you all
My daughter Catriona, playing with a cardboard tube.

I left a comment on Virginia Yonkers' post, Why Can't Learning Be Fun. She'd allowed me to reflect on what learning was all about.



Anyone who has watched a young child explore her surroundings will also know the wonder and enjoyment that fills the mind of the young learner.

When watching for the first time bubbles, balloons, buzzy bees or butterflies, no normal child sits sullenly.

Having fun is a natural companion to learning.


Ka kite anō - Catch ya later

2 comments:

doyle said...

No normal adult sits sullenly, either.

Scary what we have become.

Thanks for reminding us what matters. Keep reminding us. Over and over again if need be.

And it need be.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Michael.

I'm not sure what matters. So often, when I think of what matters to me, it is not necessarily what matters to somebody else. I think this is part of where we are right now in human development.

Some say we are living in the age of democracy, and in part, I'd have to agree. But a facet of democracy is differing opinion. When it comes to 'what matters', I'm not so sure that everyone is aligned.

When it comes to kids, I'd like to think we are all looking in the same caring direction.

Ka kite